Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dominic


Last fall in a weekly workshop, I was one day presented with a cow skull to sketch on the spot in vine charcoal.  A bit intimidating at first, I found him to be the most amazing, intricate, and inspiring piece of still life!  I got the proportions of his face correct and called it done.  "Dominic", as I named him, came home with me for the week.  I had never worked in pastel before (and not much since) but I dared to try him again - this time on a piece of grocery bag turned inside out.  That's him on the right.  I also took a lot of photos and started a life sized oil painting of him hanging on my back fence - yet to finish another time!  If anyone out there knows where to get a cow skull to keep, let me know  ;-)  They are great subjects!

No comments:

Post a Comment